Tuesday, July 11, 2017

The Book Thief - Markus Zusak

I actually had to read this book for school. And surprisingly, for once, it was pretty good.

Liesel Meminger is the main character in the book, and her story is told through the perspective of "Death" in Germany during the 30's and the Second World War. She is a young German girl who is fostered by two poor parents and as the story goes on, Liesel grows into a teenage girl. Along the way, she develops family relationships, makes friends, learns valuable lessons, and creates her own values, all while the horrors of Hitler's rise and the war occur. It's a coming-of-age novel that will strike a chord with readers.

Image result for the book thiefLet me start by saying that this book is bursting with literary devices. The entire book is quite literally one giant metaphor, as "Death" tells the story. Every page has a metaphor somewhere, used in some way. You could be talking about socks and there would still be some deep metaphor made by the author. This is really great for analyzing and interpreting the multiple meanings. When I was discussing this book in a seminar, we all interpreted the book differently, and our answers were all reasonable. The descriptions are so detailed and the language used is not complicated and not too easy, which I like in a book.

The fact that Death tells the story, I found, was very interesting. It created a lot of literary devices and all, but it was also interesting to see how Zusak used Death to illustrate its role in the war. He talks about how "busy" Death becomes in the war and how demanding Hitler is of Death. I think it's quite clever, and it was enjoyable to read these parts.

The thing I didn't like about the book is that it is so unnecessarily long. There are countless parts in the book where I could not find a single explanation as to what it adds to the book. Trust me when I say I genuinely tried to find its relevance to the book; I was being graded on my analysis. Not only were these parts useless, but they were just plain boring! Some characters have no real purpose in the book. In fact, they just take away from the story. This book would be so much better if it was less than 584 pages.

Overall, this book was pretty enjoyable. I would recommend this to freshmen, not sophomores (as I was when I read this book). Thanks for reading!

22 comments:

  1. ❤︎ Wonderful review!!! I feel like this book is becoming a classic - hoping to read it sometime this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! I have to read the book for school next year, and I am not usually a fan of required reading books, but this one sounds pretty cool! Death as a narrator sounds strange, and intriguing! Judging by all the metaphors, it sounds like I'll have to write a lot of essays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was definitely an interesting read, different from most novels. Hope you enjoy it :)

      Delete
  3. "Death" tells the story? that alone has me intrigued. I've heard such great things about this one but for some reason I haven't gotten around to reading it. Thanks for your review, it's motivated me to start asap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very unique in comparison to anything I've read. Hopefully you enjoy the book :)

      Delete
  4. I've been wanting to read this book forever but I haven't gotten around to it yet. That's really interesting that it's told through the POV of Death. Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It was definitely an interesting read :)

      Delete
  5. Great review! Thanks for allowing me to feature it on my blog!

    - El

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know I've never read this book but I've seen it around many times, and I've seen quite a few favorable responses to it too. I almost wish I had had to read it for school as it does sound really interesting (except for the boring parts). I never really knew what it was about though, so that's good to know. And told from the POV of death?? Interesting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic review! I've watched the movie (it broke my heart - so, so gut-wrenching) but I'm really interested to pick up the book. But unnecessarily long won't sit well with me, either :( I hate writing fluff, lol.

    Amy @ A Magical World Of Words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to have to watch the movie soon, I forgot there was one :o

      Delete
  8. I commented on the other post of this, I did like it but I didn't love it like many of my reader friends did.

    Lainy http://www.alwaysreading.net

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very interesting review, Sabrina! I like your analysis of the book's pros and cons.
    And how fascinating that it's Death who is the narrator!

    I've been meaning to read this book for some years now.... Your insightful review will now make me bump it up on the TBR!

    Thanks for sharing!! <3 :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. Thanks for complimenting my blog in the comment you left on one of my recent post!! <3 <3 :) :)

      Delete
    2. P.P.S. I meant to type "posts". Lol. :)

      Delete
    3. Thank YOU for checking out my blog :)

      Delete
  10. I've been meaning to read this one, but I just haven't yet. Though it does sound interesting, I'm not sure if I'm up to a 584 page book. Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, this book's page count is a little daunting, agreed

      Delete
  11. Sorry it took me a bit to get to your blog. Looks great and I love your analysis of the book. I have yet to read this one and I do enjoy metaphor. I think you described well on what could have been improved and it makes sense to me. Will have to keep it in mind when I finally get around to it. Brilly review.

    ReplyDelete